Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Body by Victoria?


How do you feel about this picture? What do you think is being portrayed in this image about models and young teens who strive to have model body types?

Some may say that photographers take pictures and post images of models in magazines that appear to have health problems, and it also seems that they project themselves to have bulimia or to be anorexic. Teens may take these images and try to mirror a body image that is unhealthy and unrealistic, that subconsciously plays on their self-esteem.

Others may find this post offensive saying that it's biased to say that all models do is puke in toilets to keep up a small physique.

The question is, Do images in magazines have an effect on how young teens feel about their self-image? What do all think?

By: The Most Known 'Unknown'
Aqiyla

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey beautiful young people! I'm blown away by all your postings! This is amazing!!! Hope everyone reads your blogs, just b/c it has sooo much information.

I wanted to comment on this, I just recently did a group presentation on this type of information and I strongly believe that media (magazines, TV, video games and video musics) have a big impact on how kids and young people look at themselves. If you look at all those "teen" magazines, most of them, i just found out, are targetted for 13-23 year olds. How can you think that 13 year olds have the same problems as 23 year olds? I can say that probably now they do, I can't remember having any contact w/ these magazines when I was 10. I was watching the smurfs and my little pony...nowadays, girls are all about fashion, their looks and worse yet wether they are skinny enough to fit the mold of a non-exicstent body type. Models in magazines...if they aren't skinny enough, technology makes them look skinny, makes them look perfect...it's called airbrush! I found this really cool information that compares the average women (height, weight, etc.) with the image that is portrayed by a barbie and a store manequin. Have you seen how skinny they are? I mean yeah they aren't real but they won't be as close as real w/ those sizes. I mean I really have a lot to say and I really wish that girls and young women could get all this information b/c it is very important. I found that more and more girls are becoming Anorexic and Bulimic and boys aren't that far behind either...that's my 50 cents...;0)
Good job! Mad love and respect for all of you!

December 14, 2005 11:42 PM  
Blogger Jeff Simmermon said...

This blog is AWESOME. You guys are really growing something great, and keep up the good work!

This link will take you to a website where they actually demonstrate all the retouching that goes into a Cosmo-style magazine cover. Though you might enjoy it, and you could perhaps include it in your post:

http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/retouch/retouch/index.html

KEEP IT UP,

Jeff

December 19, 2005 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home