Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Rwanda: GenocideThe Western World Ignored

By Jose Andrade, Age 19

A few weeks ago, I watched a movie called Hotel Rwanda for my social ethics class. The movie is based on the massive genocide in Rwanda.

The genocide was the result of cultural tension between the majority Hutus and the minority Tutsis.

The genocide happened in April 1994 and in the span of 3 months 800,000 Tutsis were eliminated.

After watching the movie I was really pissed off and upset that the Western super-powers, again, did nothing to stop the violence in foreign lands.

I can't believe that America and all of Europe and the U.N decided not to intervene in the chaos.

It makes me furious to know that I live in a world where there are heartless politicians that ignore the suffering of people and children.

It's even more disturbing that the Western powers only intervene to help the citizens (mostly white) out of the danger. I don’t understand the inhumane ways of the Western World.

I'm writing this piece because I want people to remember the ones lost in Rwanda and next time, in the future (or even now in Sudan), the world will lend an ear to hear the suffering and that way something can be done.

800,000 Eternal, Until the Bell Ring. - For the Victims, I’m sorry the world didn’t hear your cries..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home